Teacher reflections

Here’s a sampling of some of the impressions our teachers have of the cruise so far.

Day 1 Sunset Jess Grant

Jess Grant: Looking out 360 degrees into the ocean and seeing nothing but the horizon was incredible. I’ve never been to a place where I was the only thing that I could see for miles in all directions. It’s a little scary, but exciting. But my favorite part about my journey aboard the R/V Endeavor so far, is the amount of stars that you can see out here in the middle of the ocean. Without the glow of the city lights, you can see more stars than you ever can imagine. The milky way galaxy is crystal clear. Standing on the flying bridge and gazing at the immense universe of twinkling stars has taken the lead in my favorite experiences aboard Endeavor.

nickIMG_0553

Nick Terry: Upon reflection of my day, I came to realize that while my hands may not have always been physically on scientific tools, I was “doing science” all day. I learned all about how to be safe and take part in the scientific process on board, what tools, electronics and equipment was used for and I learned it all by the guidance and examples of the incredible scientists and crew that have had decades of experience.

jenniferIMG_1854

Jennifer Pietros: We all met for a safety training video and went over safety aboard the vessel.  We also got to try on a gumby suit.  They told us a story about how that type of suit saved some crew members lives off of Alaska when they were in freezing water for 12 hours and on a rock cropping for an additional 12 hours.  I could not believe how hot I was in it and was glad when I finally could take it off!  After we went over the safety, we had dinner.  I had pan-seared haddock with potatoes and vegetables with a brownie for dessert!  The food was excellent!

WP_20150817_09_24_22_Pro

Joe Bartoshevich: Up and on deck for 6:00 sharp. We conducted a CDT deployment at about 6:45am, sending the package down to 1400 feet. I was surprised that the water temperature near the surface was about 80 degrees. My next surprise was that we are in deep water on the Block Canyon. I would think that deeper water meant colder water.

alyssaDSC01310

Alyssa Wood: An area of importance of life at sea among a working crew is means of communication.  I was surprised at all the ways in which the ship is equipped for the crew to communicate to each other.  In the classroom we regularly talk about and practice effective communication between partners, whether it is in setting up an activity or experiment, or sharing data and finding meaning in it that will lead to strong conclusion and answers for a focus question.

meredithDSC01347

Meredith Ashworth: Life is simpler here.  Everyone has a job; a purpose. Even the copepods that we netted and watched consuming each other! The ocean is so blue out here!!