Educators learning at sea

Prof Chris Roman briefs the team on upcoming wire flyer testing.

Prof David Smith discusses plankton biology prior to taking plankton samples.

nickmicro net

Nick Terry: We attached a net to the CTD that caught all kinds of curious creatures for us to study back in the wet lab under the microscope.  We learned about the phytoplankton we were staring at, specifically how their bodies are mostly transparent which is a natural defense to hide from predators.  It was amazing to see how something so incredibly small could live in something as vast as the ocean.

Jennifer Pietros: I ran into one of my former students, Kurt Rethorn who I taught my first year teaching in Coventry!  I am so proud of him.  He is now working as the assistant engineer aboard the Endeavor.  He has traveled all over the world and really loves his job.  I am so happy for him!  It is always nice to see students I taught go into the science field.

livebcst copy

Trisha Garland: David Smith came in and asked Alyssa and I if we’d help them get some film for a live YouTube stream. So that happened. It was a bit awkward and we hadn’t rehearsed beforehand but I think we did all right. I doubt more than a dozen people even saw it. We gave a play-by-play of the wire flyer deployment to viewers.

Jennand Jess

Jess Grant: The final thing that we did today was one of my favorites. We dragged the plankton net again, but this time, we did it at night. The hundreds of tiny copepods, fish larvae, ctenophora, fish, eel and shrimp larvae that we caught were amazing. The most memorable moment of all was when we turned off the lights and saw the entire bucket of sea water come to life with bioluminescence! I had never seen this before and it was spectacular. Hundreds of tiny blue and white lights twinkled as the small creatures swam about. It was just as magical as the countless number of twinkling stars that you can see in the night sky, from out here at sea.